The Ames Community Theater was officially started in October 1956 as members of the Ames Playground Radio Theater and Touring Players asked the simple question: Why didn’t Ames have a community theater? Previous interest in forming a group had high hopes but never became a reality. That is until that October in 1956, when everything just kind of came together.
The first meeting was held at the Sheldon Munn on Main Street and Jim Okey was elected the first president. The first production of Charley’s Aunt was performed on December 14th and 15th at Edwards School.
ACTORS is currently celebrating its 64th season of productions, and has a permanent facility that houses its scene shop, costume room, prop storage, board meetings and more. It has become a leader in the arts in the community, and helped give birth to several other organizations in and around the Ames area.
ACTORS is located at 120 Abraham Dr., Ames, IA 50014
Phone: (515) 292-2073